How Can We Help?

< All Topics

Out of Country Licences

It is the law in Alberta that a person must surrender any and all foreign drivers licences when they obtain any class of Alberta operators licence. It is illegal in Alberta to hold any other drivers licence and an Alberta drivers licence at the same time.


If you are working or studying in Alberta and you have your valid home jurisdiction driver’s license and an International Drivers Permit, you do not have to obtain an Alberta driver’s license unless your home jurisdiction license expires or you have been in Alberta for one year, whichever occurs first.

Previous Non-Reciprocal Countries
Next Out of Province Licences
Table of Contents