How Can We Help?

< All Topics

Reciprocal Countries

  • Canada has Reciprocal Licencing agreements with the following countries:
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • United Kingdom (excluding Ireland)
  • France
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Scotland
  • Switzerland
  • United States
  • Wales

Individuals coming from these countries are exempt from taking the knowledge and/or road test. The foreign licence may be directly exchanged for an Alberta licence.


  • Foreign Drivers Licence: including the contents translated into English by an approved translator
  • Proof of status in Canada:
    • permanent residence card
    • work permit
    • landing papers
    • citizenship card
  • Second piece of ID:
    • valid passport (required if you are supplying a work permit, landing papers or citizenship card/certificate as these documents are not considered photo ID)
    • Alberta Health Care card
  • Proof of Alberta address:  click here for more information
  • Vision Screening Test: administered at Taradale Registry at the time of licence exchange
Previous Out of Province Licences
Table of Contents