How Can We Help?

< All Topics


A renewal notice will be sent to you approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the expiry date (your birthday) of your licence or ID card. Licence or ID renewals:

  • must be done in person
  • are only eligible to current Alberta residents
  • please bring in current licence
  • medicals are required if you hold a Class 1, 2 or 4 licence, if you are over the age of 75 or have a condition code ‘C’ which requires periodic medicals

Expired Drivers Licence or ID Cards

If your licence or ID card has been expired for more than 6 months, you are required to:

  • provide proof of Alberta address;
    • Alberta Residency Documents The document must include the client’s name, address, and the date the document was mailed. The following bills can be mailed OR printed electronically (ie from the internet) and must be dated within the last 90 days.
      • Pay Stub
      • Utility bill
      • Telephone bill.
      • Gas bill.
      • Cable TV bill.
    • The following items must be the original mailed statement showing the client’s name and Alberta address. It must also be dated within the last 90 days.
      • Cell phone bill.
      • Bank statement.
    • This cannot be a printout from the bank with the teller stamp. It must be an original bank statement mailed to your address.
      • Credit card statement
      • Alberta Social Benefit Statements or cheques.
      • Other financial type statements.
      • Income tax assessment summary.
      • Cell phone bill.
      • Other documents containing a client’s name and physical Alberta address:
      • Residential lease agreement showing residential address.
      • Written confirmation of Alberta employment including contact name and telephone number (must be current within the last 15 days).
      • Written confirmation from an educational institution in Alberta indicating dependents is attending school full time.
      • Copy of a Land Title (does not include rental properties, the client must physically reside at the location).
  • provide proof of legal status in Canada
    • Canadian passport or certificate
    • permanent residency card
    • citizenship card/certificate
    • landing papers

If your licence has been expired for more than 3 years, you are subject to passing a knowledge exam and road test before reinstatement.

Previous Professional Licence
Next Road Test
Table of Contents