Alberta Driver’s Abstract / Confirmation Letters
A driver abstract is a history of your personal driving record which is maintained by Alberta Registries and is available for a 3, 5, or 10 year period. It provides the current status of an operator’s license and lists conviction information, any applicable demerit points, and suspensions. The Driver Abstract confirms information from an individual’s driving record that includes: name, address, date of birth, height, weight, sex, Motor Vehicle Identification (MVID) number, operator license number and issue date, expiration date, class, current demerit points, suspended status, reinstatement conditions (if any) and the list of violations (descriptions, demerit/merit points, and suspension term). Driver’s abstracts do not display your date first licensed.
A confirmation letter is a signed document that will confirm the issue date of your last card, what class of vehicle can be driven, any restrictions, and the licence expiry date. If any other information is required on your letter please contact one of our agents.
To purchase a driver’s abstract or confirmation letter click here to download the form and present it in person at the registry. The abstract/confirmation letter will be printed immediately while you are present.
When you are unable to be physically present in an Alberta Registry office to purchase an abstract or confirmation letter there are two options that will allow you to acquire it. If someone other than yourself is physically present in Alberta to process the abstract go to option one. If no one can be present at an Alberta Registry office or if you would like to order a confirmation letter then proceed to option two.
OPTION 1 – DESIGNATE SOMEONE TO PICK IT UP IN PERSON – ABSTRACTS ONLY
- You will fill out the driver’s abstract consent form designating a person known to you to act on your behalf. Then either mail, scan and email, or fax the request to any In & Out location.
- The person designated in your consent form will then go into the office with their acceptable identification. Such as;
- Valid Driver’s Licence or ID Card
- Valid Passport
- Permanent Resident Card
- Indian Status Card
- National Defence Card
- Your designated agent will pay the processing fee of $26.00 on your behalf and the abstract will be printed immediately.
- The original abstract will be given to your designated agent and they can then forward it to you in whatever way they wish.
OPTION 2 – MAIL IN A NOTARIZED REQUEST – ABSTRACTS & CONFIRMATION LETTERS
- You must fill out the Notarized Request for Driving and Motor Vehicle Information form.
- This form must be taken to a Notary Public, where they will place their seal on both the form and a on a photocopy of your ID. (A list of acceptable ID is on the Notarized form).
- A processing fee is required. This may be paid by either a certified cheque or money order made payable to In and Out Registry.
- All of the above must be sent to In and Out Registry at 12804 82 St Edmonton AB T5E 2T2 via traceable courier (ie Purolator, UPS, Express Post, etc). There must also be a pre-addressed, pre-paid traceable return envelope from the same courier included for us to send the abstract back to.
- A certified agent will process the request on the same day it was received.
*Note – Notarized documents are only valid for 60 days.