Boat Licenses


Marriage Commissioners

Learner's Permits

You can write your learner's test here with no appointment necessary. Please come in before 3:30pm on Saturday or 7:30pm during the week.

Acceptable ID for writing a learner's license:

1. An original Canadian birth certificate or Canadian passport, or the combination of a passport with immigration documents, Canadian citizenship or permanant resident card - this is a MUST!
2. 2nd piece of Identification - ie. pay stub with a letter of employment (must be from an Alberta based company), income tax assessment. If applicant is under 18 years of age and only has a birth certificate, we can use the parents' ID as the second piece.
3. If the person writing is under the age of 18, a parent must be present at time of writing with their driver's license.

Graduated Licensing

Learners are required to have a Learner's license for at least one year and to be at least 16 years of age before they can take a road test. A Class 5 Graduated Driver's License will be issued once a learner has completed a Basic Road Test. An advanced road test can be taken once a person has 2 years of driving experience and the driver has been suspension free for 12 consecutive months.

Road Tests     Book your Road Test Online  

Note: Crowfoot Plates Registries' role is only to book the drivers exam and receive payment on behalf of contracted driver examiners.

Road Test Information:
  1. Road Tests must be scheduled in advance. You can book online here.
  2. In order to schedule a Road Test you must pay the full amount of the Road Test fee. You should note that if you fail to provide 48 hours notice to reschedule or do not appear for the Road Test 15 minutes before the schedule time, your fee will be forfeited and your test will not proceed. You must contact Crowfoot Plates Registry by phone to reschedule a Road Test. No refunds will be issued.
  3. Only the person taking the Road Test or their parent/legal guardian may purchase a Road Test Permit.
  4. Your eligibility to take a Road Test will be confirmed when your Road Test Permit is generated. This will include producing acceptable identification, appropriate documents based on the requirements of the desired Driverís Licence class, and/or medical documents. If you are ineligible on the test date, the test will not proceed and you will have to rebook at full price.
  5. All Medical Road Testís and Road Tests due to a Suspension must be booked in person at Crowfoot Plates Registry.
  6. All outstanding fines MUST be paid before the Test Permit can be printed. If you cannot pay the fines you will forfeit the Road Test fee and pay to rebook.
  7. In order to take a Road Test, you must provide an appropriate vehicle in good mechanical condition, all lights and the horn MUST be working, enough gas to complete the road test, and produce valid insurance and vehicle registration. Names on Insurance and Registration MUST be the same.
  8. If you have lost your Road Test Permit a new Permit must be purchased.
  9. A Driver Examiner will be assigned to conduct the Road Test; clients cannot request a particular driver examiner for their Road Test.
  10. PLEASE NOTE: Crowfoot Plates Registry Incís only involvement is the booking of the Road Test. All Driver Examiners are monitored by Transportation Safety Services. For all questions, or if you have any concerns regarding your Driver Examiner or Road Test, please contact:

    Transportation Safety Services
    403-297-6679 or 1-800-666-5036

  11. Windshields MUST be free of all cracks that impede the vision of the Driver or Passenger. The Examiner has full discretion of whether or not to proceed with the test.
**Only the Examiner has the discretion to reschedule/cancel all appointments due to extreme weather conditions.**

Renewing License

Please come in with your Driverís License. If your license has been expired for 6 months or more you will need to come in with Proof of Legal Entitlement to be in Canada. Ex: Canadian Passport, Canadian Birth Certificate, Valid Permanent Resident Card or Canadian Citizenship. You will also need to provide proof of Alberta Residency which is a utility bill, cable bill, mortgage papers or rental agreement dated within the past 90 days. Renewals must be done in person. Only residents of Alberta are eligible to renew. Anyone 75 years or older is is required to submit a medical completed by their doctor. Medical reports are also required for holders of Class 1, 2 and 4 licenses and for all licenses with a condition code "C".

Out of Province Driver's Licenses, please bring the following:
1. Your out of Province license
2. Proof of Alberta residency - a utility, phone or cable bill; mortgage papers or rental agreement from an official rental agency to prove Alberta residency.
3. Secondary piece of ID such as Original Birth Certificate, Passport, Canadian Citizenship Card or Permanent Resident Card.

If you have moved from outside of Canada, please also bring the following:
1. An official English translation of your driver's license
2. Passport with immigration documents
3. Secondary piece of ID such as an Original Birth Certificate or Passport, Canadian Citizenship Card, Permanent Resident Card.